Since 2009, I have been traveling only with hand luggage regardless of how many days I have been away. Last year I went to Project Getaway for 6 weeks with only hand luggage, and had no problems whatsoever. This is usually what I bring if I’m going to a warm country:
- 5 t-shirts
- 5 pair of boxers
- 4 pair of socks
- 2 pair of shorts
- 1 pair of bathing shorts / training shorts
- Five fingers
- Traveling in: jeans, t-shirt, pull-over, Nike Free shoes.
- 2 creditcards
- Miscellanies cards (driver’s licens, insurance, etc.)
- Macbook air
- Mouse (only if it’s a work-holiday)
- 500gb HD (only if it’s a work-holiday)
- iPhone 5
- Garmin 310xt + HR monitor
- Kindle Paperwhite
- USB charger + cables for electronics
- Deodorant, toothbrush, and toothpaste.
This adds up to around 7-8 kg including my laptop which is 1.3 kg.
So do I then walk around in the same clothes? Yes, but I wash it whenever I need. It takes 5-10 minutes to do yourself, or your traveling somewhere cheap (like Asia) you can use a washing service.
Here are some of the things that I love about traveling only with hand luggage:
- You can check in from the web or the self-check in counter at the airport and go directly to the security check saving you the queuing.
- You don’t have to be at the airport 2-3 hours before departure because of the above. I am usually there 75 minutes before departure and I have never missed a flight (until a few days ago, but that’s another story :))
- When you arrive, you can flick-flack your way pass the families waiting in the baggage claim area.
- The risk of losing your luggage during your journey is eliminated.
- It takes less than a minute to unpack and repack (huge advantage if you aren’t staying the same place)
- It’s much easier to walk around with a backpack rather than a big fat suitcase that gives up as soon as the road gets bumpy.